Toggle Sidebar

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Make the best of what you've got, OPEN!!
Cern
 Posted: Oct 19 2016, 07:53 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Player name: Sez
Other Characters: Flint Greystanes, Tuitea'dial, Toad
Awards: None

“I’m game, if ye’ve got a small specimen. I wuidnae want tae disturb this one.” He jerked a finger at the matted green mess that Skeezix had managed to persuade to grow in its own little microclimate. “And I’ll buy some singin’ grapes frae ye, if ye hae some fer sale.” They would be interesting to try.

A mini greenhouse. That got Cern’s attention. He’d been wanting to set up poly-tunnels for some time, but plastic was expensive since it came from the World. Glass wasn’t to be thought of. “Och aye?” He muttered as he followed, intrigued. If she could put the thing on wheels then it could be moved to his plot without disturbing the plants more than necessary.

“My plot’s the yards o’ the Rune Lord block.” He revealed. “Ye git in via an alleyway. I’d say ‘luik fer the red brick building’ but richt noo ye want tae luik fer the giant pumpkin vine that’s eatin’ the buildin’.” He advised dryly. It was going to be a bastard to get the dead vines down, come winter.

The fact that his companion was scratching only registered when something fell out of her shirt, only visible because she was walking in front of him. Maybe she’d got leaves or something down her shirt, it happened to him all the time. But, no, the object by his foot looked like a piece of bark. “Ye bin climbin’ trees fer plants?” He asked, wondering whether she was looking for epiphytes.

--------------------
PM
^
Skeezix
 Posted: Oct 20 2016, 05:13 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Player name: Ru
Other Characters: Sierra
Awards: 5

"Yeah sometimes, along with fruits, nuts, fungal growths that make you wonder if Willy Wonka took up horticulture and sometimes to see if I can get grafting stock from some of the trees out in the Never Never." She was never going to forget those weird plums, the ones that had tasted like blueberries and watermelon had a baby. "Just been working outside today..didn't feel like dragging myself around hell's hundred acres."

Eventually the small tour came to a stop next to one of the steel cars, where a small wooden lathe and pole teepee had vines and rain gutters running along the outside of it. The purpose of this design became clear as one looked at the top of the structure, where a pipe was slowly letting out a thin, steady trickle of water into a funnel, where it was slowly sent down over the pebbles and rocks inside of the gutters. Strands of tart yellow-green berries hung barely ripened from inside of the leafs, and in the breeze when they should have rustled...the leaves and berries chimed like very small bells.

Clearly, this had been a project of some undertaking and pride, for one could easily crawl inside of the shape and have a good lie down in all of that dappled light and chiming.

--------------------
avatar provided by the incredible Sfe Monster!

Anyone wanting to mug a troll had better be using a building on a stick

"We live and learn, or perhaps more importantly, we learn and live."
PMEmail PosterAOL
^
Cern
 Posted: Feb 28 2017, 12:10 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

“Ah.” Cern nodded, understanding. “I git bark doon my shirt whin I gie climbin’ tae.” He commiserated. “But tis oft worth it fer the treasures. Seeds and nuts and wee epiphytes.” He gestured something small between his hands. He’d found a tiny orchid once, unthinkable given the snows that fell here, but there it was. He was training it onto a dead branch.

In that moment Cern spied the tepee, and all thought of climbing trees went out of his head. Approaching with care, he didn’t just admire from afar but stepped close to examine the construction, the watering system and the material the grapes were growing in. Then he delicately tapped a couple with a finger and listened to the chimes with a smile. “Och, this is braw!” He enthused, forgetting himself in his interest in the structure. He was a grower rather than a builder, but Skeezix had put the builders art in service to the grower’s for the benefit of this particular plant.

--------------------
PM
^
Skeezix
 Posted: Feb 28 2017, 12:33 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

"That's the singing grapes I was talking about. They're fussy, and and the fruit is not much good eating, but they've got a lovely scent and sound when brewed in tea,"Skeezix smiled with wide warm pride at the exhuberence and the compliment paid by the young man just becoming so enthralled by the small project. "I'm hoping to get a good biga sourdough started from a small pressing."

It'd taken so much trial and error to figure out the needs of the grape, but once you knew them, it was simple. It needed running water, even only a trickle would do, so long as it was moving. Dark loamy soil, but with good drainage and the roots in partial shade. The teepee provided all of those.

"Scavenged the rain gutters from the Feral Houses, amid a few other things..." There was a faint stroking of one wide leaf, which was starting to turn with the hints of autumn on the way. Not more than a year ago she'd been scavenging up the leaves of this for tea and salad...

With a chuckle, she moved on towards the steel storage container and dragged open one of the doors with the groan of rusty metal hinges. Not even bothering with bringing in a light, she shuffled around inside, moving things here and there with thumps and a few grunts.

"Hrrrrrrrooop!"

Placing her hands on the pullbars of the small cart, she dragged out a small wheeled cart that was about 4 feet wide, size feet long and just barely five feet high at the peak... made entirely from scavenged window panes and pieces of glass. Cern had expressed an interest in the small green house and if he could get things to sprout in there for her...

--------------------

PMEmail PosterAOL
^
Cern
 Posted: Mar 4 2017, 06:16 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

The grapes were lovely. A shame they weren’t much good to eat, but anything that wasn’t particularly flavourful had other used. Cern nodded as Skeezix mentioned harvesting the wild yeasts from the fruit. “I wonder whit the wine wuid taste like.” He mused, tending towards booze rather than bread.

Listening as she described how she’d built the structure that provided the grapes with the conditions that they needed to grow, his tanned face turned thoughtful. The things you could do with this kind of thing, if you had the space… but he didn’t have the space. If only.

Giving the leaves a final brush to set them tinkling, Cern followed Skeezix over to the container, and watched with interest as she dragged out the little mobile cart. It was a cart, but the upper section was all glass, a tiny little enclosed world. “Tis like a terrarium on wheels.” He observed, both pleased and amused. And envious. He wanted that, but he’d actually come looking for some pillows or cushions and a quilt, and had brought a bag full of veggies with him. It wouldn’t be enough for the cart. “Whit do ye want fer’t?” He asked anyway.

Glancing around, he couldn’t help but observe again that Skeezix had the space for all of her projects out here on the edge of the NeverNever. “Whit’s it like livin’ oot here?” He asked suddenly. Up until now he’d stuck to the small but known area around the Rune Lord block.

--------------------
PM
^
Skeezix
 Posted: Mar 4 2017, 06:56 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

"It's quiet... not in the farmland way, but in a wild sort of way. Y'know?" Skeezix scratched the back of her head thoughtfully, a little surprised at this questioning. She glanced out through the ruins of various shipping containers old and newly discarded, further to that stretch of wild woods and fields that began the Never Never. "I'm not living out here full time yet, still working on my homestead."

That had been the project she was working so intently on when he arrived for trading. She looked at the greenhouse cart, weighing up how many hours she'd put into it all with scavenging and the building of it. Cern had brought a bag of fresh veggies which was well enough, she could always go for more fuel. It was weighing choices when it all came down to it.

"I could d-d-do a down payment, and you could come by and help work the rest off. I still have a lot to get done before winter."

--------------------

PMEmail PosterAOL
^
Cern
 Posted: Mar 8 2017, 07:37 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

“Yeah, I get it.” Wild sounded nice in theory, and he enjoyed woodlands and the like. He’d had to be careful in the last year back home though, the highland moors weren’t somewhere to wander when you had a set of antlers on your head. Not during hunting season anyway. Admittedly they’d only been small then, they shed in late winter and started to grow back in the spring, just like a real deer. And like a real deer they got bigger every year. He was on his third set now, and couldn’t wait to shed them. Bring on the cold.

But the idea of having a place of his own, somewhere he could have a decent amount of land to cultivate without worrying about his pumpkins eating buildings appealed to him. Maybe one day. He didn’t have a lot of building skills though; clearly Skeezix did. Perhaps it would be educational to give her a hand.

“I kin do that.” He said after a moment’s consideration. “I kin pay in instalments. Fresh veggies, labour and/or hard-to-grow herbs. Ye tell me whit ye want.” And if she had seeds of the plants she needed to propagate, that made it easier for him.

--------------------
PM
^
Skeezix
 Posted: Mar 8 2017, 09:16 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

"Alright, I'll stop by with the seeds of the stuff I haven't had any luck getting to flower, along with the cart tomorrow morning, probably before dawn. We can ss s-seed swap then if you'd like..." Skeezix offered, looking back into the shipping container, where there were other carts stored as well. Cern probably could recognize the brightly painted one from the Yule fair, with everything except the fuel and the food ready to go inside for another round as it was nearest the front. Further back were other two other carts, one obviously meant just to haul around any finds as it was little more than a wooden box that had been slashed diagonally along the top.

The other was easily five feet wide and five feet tall from the bottom of the cartbed to the apex of the curving roof, shingled in strips of bright tin. It got darker further back in the container from the entrance, so it was hard to judge how long that thing was but... ...If that wasn't nearly a house on four bicycle wheels someone was a very bad liar.

"...How does three afternoons a week sound? I'll provide some tea and snacks," Really, those snacks would be leftovers from work, or food that was just edging the day it became stale. It was sensible really to provide for someone who was working for you, even if it was working off a debt. "That's only if the weather is good though. If it's dark and or snowy...ain't no one working."

--------------------

PMEmail PosterAOL
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

CWHP For Queen and Country Sanctuary The Jersey Devil WHAT A SHAME 1 on 1 RP
ETS Forsilvra: An Original Fantasy RPG
forum layout coded by revo. of (display:none) & rpg-directory.com
The Bordertown world was created by, and is copyrighted by, Terri Windling. The world, its landmarks and characters are used with her permission only. All rights to Borderland material are reserved by Ms. Windling and the authors of the Borderland books: Borderland, Bordertown, Life on the Border, Elsewhere, Nevernever, Finder, The Essential Bordertown and Welcome to Bordertown.
Have a question but everyone's asleep? Stop by our guest-friendly help desk.