Toggle Sidebar

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

To be dealt with, Skeezix, Thorn-Leaf-and-tree
Skeezix
 Posted: Apr 19 2014, 05:50 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Player name: Ru
Other Characters: Sierra
Awards: 5

The telegraph came by the node in Birch Street, before someone passed it onto one of the Bloods who did the right thing and brought it straight to Thorn.

THORN SOMEONE NEUTRAL WANTS TO ACTUALLY TALK TO YOU FOR REPAIR WORK STOP THEY WILL BE WAITING FROM TWO TO FOUR AT THE NOODLE SHOP NEAR TINTOWN STOP

There were obvious reasons why these persons couldn't make it to Birch on their own, as well as implications of how fucked up it'd be if said person went missing.

-------------

Chewing the bottom of her lip again, Skeezix glanced around the small shop over the bowl of noodles and weak-ass broth that she'd forced to purchase to get a table. It wasn't her ideal meet-up location, between the proximity to Birch Street and the presence of a few Bloods here already for cheap lo mein bowls, she was as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of dogs.

Big dogs with knives.

Marigold had insisted on coming with her, bless his elven heart and he was the picture of Bordertown ease and calm as he lounged in his chair. Sometimes, she envied his ability to stay calm, and more to it, his ability to pull off anything he wore. A former wool suit with sawed off sleeves over a blue dress, and pastel rainbow capris underneath. Every time the bell on the door rung, she tried not to swing her head around to see who had come in.

--------------------
avatar provided by the incredible Sfe Monster!

Anyone wanting to mug a troll had better be using a building on a stick

"We live and learn, or perhaps more importantly, we learn and live."
PMEmail PosterAOL
^
Thorn Leaf-and-Tree
 Posted: Apr 25 2014, 06:06 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Player name: Silkblade
Other Characters: N/A
Awards: None

Thorn was lounging in his office, ostensibly working, but in reality, just passing time on yet another long, drawn-out day, one that seemed as though it would never end. One of the new recruit Bloods came to his door and knocked, hoping his boss wouldn't be in one of his infamous moods, which spelled peril for almost everyone.

"What do you want?" The icy tone suggested injury to the recruit, who really hadn't dealt with Thorn in any great capacity and was regretting being the one given the damn telegraph message to deliver to his mercurial boss.

"I have a message for you, Sir." Hesitantly he held out the slip of paper towards the large man, then darted from the room once his job had been completed. Thorn looked over the message then out the window to get an idea of the time. It looked like he'd make the meeting if he left soon. Any actual job was better than wasting time pretending to work, even if it meant he'd be working with someone other than a Trueblood. Someone had gone through a bit of trouble in requesting his assistance, so he felt obligated and honor-bound to at least meet with them.

He knew the noodle shop, although he rarely ate anywhere but on Birch Street, so he wasn't entirely sure the quality of cuisine he would find, and most restaurants preferred a purchase in order to sit for any length of time, although he also knew that wouldn't be enforced with him. It wasn't good for business to upset the imposing leader of the Bloods. He was completely used to the immediate hush that came to the crowd when he walked into the restaurant, a bell signifying his entrance. After the brief moment of silence, conversation resumed, albeit a bit more strained for most than before, since it usually meant trouble for someone when Thorn Leaf-and-Tree left the confines of Blood controlled Birch Street.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
^
Skeezix
 Posted: Apr 25 2014, 06:43 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

...when Thorn walked in Skeezix bit her lip a moment before looking at Marigold a moment, clearly embarassed at this point, as her plan to find the best damn handyman for spellboxes and home "repair" in Soho had turned out this way. Just one conversation and maybe this'd all get done quickly. There was a long list of things that needed doing if she wanted to move out of the Vardo and into something a little better for her back problems.

It was probably not pleasant, being able to both go red with embarassment and still be white as a sheet from frayed nerves, she thought grimly. Anywhere from this point was just one more step in the process of getting upwardly mobile. Like the pale freckled hand she was slowly raising up, and holding high to signal to Thorn which table was waiting for him.

She could do this. There was a little chalkboard she'd found, and a bunch of school chalk, if her stuttering got so bad that she couldn't talk clearly.

--------------------

PMEmail PosterAOL
^
Thorn Leaf-and-Tree
 Posted: Nov 21 2014, 10:16 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

As Thorn scanned the crowd looking for anyone familiar, he caught sight of a hand raised, attached to that baker from the Ferret. She looked as if she would like to be anywhere other than here, getting ready to meet with him, but since she was the one who'd requested the meeting to begin with, he didn't really mind that his presence made her uncomfortable, but then, he rarely did. Even though it was neutral ground, Thorn walked as if he owned everything on his way towards the table, wondering what this was really about. Pulling a chair out carefully, he seated himself and carefully studied his potential client and employer, remaining silent until she said something first.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
^
Skeezix
 Posted: Nov 22 2014, 07:55 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

..how in the nine screaming hells of shabby material Wombat HELL did people start business negotiations like this one? Hello, I'd like to hire you to help me build a kitchen, sorry about that whole public humiliation thing back at the Ferret. Why are you hiring me?

Skeezix drew in a breath, and looked vaguely like she might be ill at any near moment from nerves. Just sheer nerves and possibly having a bellyful of the worst damn noodles and brother ever created outside of Miruvar's. "I need help b-b-building a kitchen onto a farm silo...it's out h-here,"

With a small flip of a notebook, there was a carefully penned out rendering of some of the Feral Farmhouses out near the Border. Writ in ballpoint pen, it detailed the old base for the farmhouse, but paid special attention to the still sturdy standing concrete silos. "Don't wanna to d-d-d-dick around with this, so it's best t-to do it right the first time. Figured, if the b-boss hires you to fix the stuff in his kitchen, that's g-good reference to your skills."

She'd been working out how to make the two silos work as living space and food laboratory. A few more page-flips in the lined notebook changed to blueprints, equally detailed out for how one silo would be turned into living quarters. Looser plans, and a list of requirements were all she had so far for the kitchen silo. "I can either pay in food, clothing repair, or catnip recipes."

--------------------

PMEmail PosterAOL
^
Thorn Leaf-and-Tree
 Posted: Jun 1 2015, 09:06 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

The sense of amusement over her obvious distress was quickly dismissed by the emotional dueling between perverse curiosity and professional courtesy, which was, quite possibly, the only courtesy he showed to those not of the Blood.

All but shutting out the noises around him, a minor talent allowing him to concentrate on the task at hand with single-minded devotion, he studied the notebook she had in front of her, taking note of the precision in which she outlined the various details for the renovations to the silos. While she hadn't been quite as exacting in her specifications for the kitchen silo, which struck Thorn as rather incongruous with the limited knowledge he had of her. It wasn't until he looked at her face and saw an expectant look that he realized he had missed hearing her say something.

Unfortunately for Thorn, communication and interpersonal relations were not his strongest of attributes, and while he was actually quite interested in this job, his reputation was working against him once again. His incredibly witty repartee was, "Pardon?"

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
^
Skeezix
 Posted: Jun 1 2015, 09:21 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

For a moment, the words caught in her own head and bounced around before trying to form sentences like 'there is no way he was ignoring me', 'I am pretty certain I didn't stutter' and obviously 'oh damn, I have to try repeating everything I said'. It was going to be another battle against her own nerves to speak with enough clarity to be understood.

"I c-c-can pay either in various forms of f-ff-food, clothing repairs or in reci-ci-ci..." The last words were getting stuck in a surge from her stomach, rebelling against terrible noodles and broth. The stutter came out when she was nervous or excited and this was an event that combined the two in a sort of anti-peanut butter cup combo. She swallowed the ball again to continue, "Recipes for turning catnip into either candy, pasta sauce, essence oil or desserts."

--------------------

PMEmail PosterAOL
^
Thorn Leaf-and-Tree
 Posted: Jun 1 2015, 10:24 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

When the words had caught in her throat, he was almost positive she was going to vomit, but thankfully that didn't happen. It really would have served him right for overly prolonging her distress. Any of her trade offers would be sufficient but the recipes were particularly intriguing. In B-Town, bartering was simply the most expedient remuneration. Being able to turn anything into something else through magical or mundane means was an extremely worthwhile trade.

He'd already made up his mind to take the job. The sheer scope of the undertaking was enough to attract his notice, and as Skeezix had said, this really needed to be done right the first time. They would definitely need to nail down some specifics for that kitchen before he started on it though.

"I'm a little surprised the plans for the kitchen aren't as complete as the rest. Are you going to be working on it more, or is that something you want me to do?" Even as he spoke the words, the silo began assembling itself in his mind like a giant Rubik's Cube or Tetris game, neither of which Thorn was even remotely familiar with, but serves as a good reference point nonetheless.

Even while this was going on, another part of his brain began categorizing materials needed, checking against the list Skeezix had made, deciding manpower needs, committing the blueprints to memory and still determined to listen to her to make sure he didn't make the same mistake again.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
^
Skeezix
 Posted: Jun 1 2015, 10:45 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

He....he was taking her seriously, and...alright the words 'I accept this job' hadn't been said but he was showing a definite interest. Which was really rather more than she'd hoped for, given the particulars of this situation. From the side, her Digger watchdog just watched this entire thing play out with an expression of mild interest on his face, because he hadn't expected Skeezix to offer out recipes as part of the trade.

"S-something I'd like y-you to work on more, if that's alright. Cooking's part magic and what I know about mm-magic can f-fit into a thimble and still leave room for a kidney bean or two." Also, because she didn't know if in the future she'd need a much larger kitchen. "I also wasn't sure if I had enough in b-b-barter to p-pay ..for the kitchen as well."

Ovens were finicky damn things that like to cough out on her from time to time, and they ate floorspace like no one's business. The only place to fit that would have to be on the ground floor and then the heat rising from it put anything stored above into enormous pressures. It'd be easily double the price of turning one of the silos into her new home.

--------------------

PMEmail PosterAOL
^
Thorn Leaf-and-Tree
 Posted: Jun 2 2015, 09:54 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

The shock in her voice was evident, almost beating back the nervous energy she generated. His mind wheeled, the proverbial gears grinding away as thoughts began shuffling themselves into order, much like the broomsticks from The Sorcerer's Apprentice, which happened to be the only part of the film Thorn had managed to see before the spell-box powering the contraption gave out spectacularly. That was before he'd learned how to repair and maintain anything, let alone a spell-box.

Thorn couldn't be called a mage or magician by anyone's standards, unless they didn't know better, but he did know magical theory and his talents for repairs and enchanting were actually quite impressive, even though he still thought he was playing second fiddle to his sister in the magical department. This would be a massive undertaking, but he was determined to do it, and to do it the way he did everything, with exacting precision and the confidence it would be utter perfection.

"In addition to the recipes and reasonable accommodation for the acquisition of the necessary materials, I have two additional addenda. The first is you are to tell any and everyone who helped you with this job. The second, I need someone other than Wicker to speak on my behalf to Defiance. I assume the air between us is suitably clear or do we need to clarify things further first?" Thorn had picked up an incredibly annoying habit of emulating Highborn speech patterns when he began conducting business, forgetting his roots as a Lowborn from the streets right here in lovely B-town.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
^
Skeezix
 Posted: Jun 2 2015, 06:05 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Er... Wait, what was that last bit? He wanted her to intermediate between him and Defiance? And for her to be a viral marketing campaign? People did not listen to Skeezix, in her experience, at least where people like Thorn Leaf-and-Tree were concerned. Still, it was the truth and there were too many gossip mongers about now and staring at the meeting going on in that booth.

"The first add-d-d-den.. ...the first request I'll do gladly and to the b-b-best of my ab-b-b-bility." He was talking to a shy girl who still spoke with a voice that sounded as though it had rusted from lack of use. "Just hope you d-d-don't expect me to be-be-bel....shout it from every street corner like a newsie with the latest rag."

She took a deep breath and looked sadder at his second request, because while her friend was dear to her... Defiance was a bit of a racist dink sometimes and had this habit of thinking that perhaps her friend was a little soft in the head perhaps. Or at least, disbelieved her when it came to Thorn Leaf-and-Tree. "She doesn't b-believe I told you off that one time, so I can't make any p-p-promises about g-getting her t-to talk to you. Don't get me wrong. I'll t-talk to her, urge her a c-c-counsel, maybe with a Digger present t'sooth any fussed feathers on either side."

"Not it." Marigold spoke up to gently remind Skeezix he was only here for her for this night's little exchange. The way she was trying to make the lines more like poetry to speak them easier was an interesting tactic.

--------------------

PMEmail PosterAOL
^
Thorn Leaf-and-Tree
 Posted: Jun 2 2015, 11:14 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

If Skeezix had seemed shocked by his assent, he was just as astonished by her acquiescence. He just gambled better, and thus was able to keep his face fairly neutral during the exchange. She didn't realize exactly how valuable her honesty was to him in this regard, both in the advertising aspect and as an envoy to Defiance. That's how good trades work though, one person has something another person values, that person figures out what they want or need that the other has or can acquire then, smooth as silk, everything exchanges hands and life moves on. At least, that's how it's supposed to work.

There was a slight quirk of a smile as Thorn responded, "I don't expect you to become some kind of vaudeville act or carnival barker, but if opportunity should arise, or you find occasion to introduce said opportunity, then, by all means, but don't force the issue. I bring it up so it doesn't get forgotten in the shuffle" He allowed himself a brief pause and a small, melancholy smile before continuing. "As to the other, I also don't expect you to be a miracle worker or make promises. We will both do our best, agreed?" As he said the last word, he stuck out his hand across the intervening space.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
^
Skeezix
 Posted: Jun 4 2015, 09:40 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

"Agreed."

This was going far too well, something was going to happen on the way back because whenever anything went well for her, the universe seemed to take offense to it's existance. Didn't mean that she would have refused that handshake, reaching her own clammy mit across the table to shake hands with Thorn. "Will you want ssssamples of these recipes, or lessons for some... er... more 'species t-t-tolerant' members of your gang? As far as the food goes, d-do you want me to cook for you for an extended p-period of time, or for a large group of p-people?"

--------------------

PMEmail PosterAOL
^
Thorn Leaf-and-Tree
 Posted: Jun 8 2015, 06:04 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Thorn accepted her clammy handshake, giving another quirky half-smile at the mention of species tolerance within the Bloods. Interesting as it was, he may be the most tolerant, while at the same time most prejudicial of the bunch. He was working very hard as of late to incorporate others into his world purview, knowing full well that, while vastly superior in every aspect, he and his were also outnumbered if everyone decided to work together to eradicate their existence.

"For now, samples and training me should suffice, also the cooking, I should imagine. There is no need to cater to others when the deal is between us."

While he had seem the shadow of what looked to be apprehension cross her face before Skeezix had extended her hand to grip his own, Thorn refused to allow himself even a moment of discouragement, this needed to work. The sense of accomplishment alone would have made this undertaking worth doing, having a real paying job was another reason, but it ran deeper for him, a duty maybe, or his sense of honor. He would see this through now, it had been agreed upon, simple as that.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
^
Skeezix
 Posted: Jun 10 2015, 02:24 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

...Code Error: WHAT, Code Error: WHAT?!

She was going to teach Thorn Leaf-and-Tree? How to cook these dishes? Just her and him and oh LORD what kitchen was that going to take place in. The Ferret? That was going to push her deal with Farrel Din to the absolute ridiculous. He might just laugh off the request for the kitchen, nevermind the cross contamination issues from using catnip on the kitchen utensils there.

Right. Hold on he was HERE and this needed to work. For it to work she couldn't show fear or anxiety anymore. In for a penny, in for plutonium. Just cram that urge to scream down into the same place that crying went when a panic attack would come during dinner service. Her emotions could wear the gimp suit for a while.

...except there were people still watching her shake hands with the Lord of the Bloods. She gave one of them a wild-eyed stare, daring them to just say something right now to her face. Did they wanna see her flip out? Hahahaha, no, you were not going to be getting your drama dose today rumor-mongers. Find something else to stare at, like the wall.

"Okay...I'll work out t-t-teaching space with f-Farrel d-Din...mostly b-b-because the Diggers won't t-t-t-t...ap-p-p..." She scrunched up her face in frustration for a moment, trying to find the words.

"Cooking with catnip?
At the Diggers, with their rules?
Bad plan, best if scrapped."

Okay, so wording it as haiku bypassed the stuttering but it wasn't going to last.

--------------------

PMEmail PosterAOL
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

CWHP For Queen and Country Sanctuary The Jersey Devil WHAT A SHAME 1 on 1 RP
ETS Forsilvra: An Original Fantasy RPG
forum layout coded by revo. of (display:none) & rpg-directory.com
The Bordertown world was created by, and is copyrighted by, Terri Windling. The world, its landmarks and characters are used with her permission only. All rights to Borderland material are reserved by Ms. Windling and the authors of the Borderland books: Borderland, Bordertown, Life on the Border, Elsewhere, Nevernever, Finder, The Essential Bordertown and Welcome to Bordertown.
Have a question but everyone's asleep? Stop by our guest-friendly help desk.