Toggle Sidebar

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Make the best of what you've got, OPEN!!
Skeezix
 Posted: Mar 16 2015, 09:09 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Player name: Ru
Other Characters: Sierra
Awards: 5

The noise of metal protesting in low tonal screeches as it was bent and shaped echoed out of one of the many empty train cars.

Outside of it, were piled masses of items. Glass bottles cut in half, windows salvaged from buildings, wooden trim and rails. Each of them were stacked outside around a 16 by 8 foot rectangle elevated off of the ground.

Weather was warming up, and today... today Skeezix could work on a special project without worrying about a blonde jerk taking offense to everything. With leather garden gloves on both hands, the tin can from one of the many restaurants was unbent and shaped to form a shingle. Like so many residents of Tintown, a tin can was a multi-purpose item. Cooking vessel, mirror (if they were new), stove, or roofing material. Corrugated steel sheets were just out of the price range at the moment.

--------------------
avatar provided by the incredible Sfe Monster!

Anyone wanting to mug a troll had better be using a building on a stick

"We live and learn, or perhaps more importantly, we learn and live."
PMEmail PosterAOL
^
Cern
 Posted: Sep 26 2016, 01:10 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Player name: Sez
Other Characters: Flint Greystanes, Tuitea'dial, Toad
Awards: None

Train carriages, someone had said. Living in train carriages. Cern didn't usually venture down to this end of town. It could be dangerous to have pointy ears and olive skin in a lot of parts of down, se he tended to stick to the Rune Lords' lot and the markets where he sold his vegetables, but every so often he would make a foray into the NeverNever, just the edges, looking for plants and seeds. He was determined to get the strawberries to grow on his lot.

If he wanted to go to the NeverNever, he had to pick a direction, and it had made as much sense to head out this way as any other, and so he did.

There was a pile of, well, junk, or rather many piles, heaped around the carriage. And it was organised junk. Someone's trash was someone else's treasure, he knew that well. He was partial to wooden pallets himself, they had a million uses. Here it looked like someone was opening a recycling centre.

"Ahoy the... carriage." He called out after a moment.

There were two things that stopped Cern passing for Human. His black hair, deep tan and green eyes marked him as definitely not an Elf; too much pigment. He had a lean, athletic build but not one outside the range of norms. But adorning his head he had both a pair of long, pointed ears, and a set of impressive antlers. The former were the result of the same Elvan heritage that gave him his build, the latter of his conception in Gateway. They also meant that he wasn't going to live on Earth again; people tended to notice.

--------------------
PM
^
Skeezix
 Posted: Sep 26 2016, 07:39 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Someone had been striding up to the train cars, not with the softly padded step of a hunter or hunted, but rather of a curious body. Not that it bothered her any, she'd heard him coming when the hammering of tin cans had stopped.

"AHOOOY!" A slightly roughened female voice called from inside of the minor maze of piles.

The face that popped up fro, behind one of the so-believed 'piles of junk' was round, pale, spotted with dark freckles under a halo of fine ash blonde hair that sprang out from beneath a colorful tie-dye bandana. No one would have thought Skeezix was anything but human, if a stocky one upon first glance and she'd believed the same thing until it'd been proven dead wrong in a way that'd saved her life. Someone would have to get very close to notice how her eyes seemed a little too dark and green around the edges of the iris. "You here for a house or a plant?"

--------------------

PMEmail PosterAOL
^
Cern
 Posted: Sep 27 2016, 01:51 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

A Human woman, chunky and practically dressed in the kind of way that hippies who really could and actually did live off the land might look. Her round, pale face and blonde hair suggested some sort of northern European ancestry. Practically normal by Bordertown standards.

The question was quite what he'd expected, but she'd caught his attention. "That depends." He replied in an amused tone of voice. "Is the plant edible?" If so then it might be something that he could add to his cultivation efforts.

"I've got a house... of sorts. But it could use some work. I heard you were good at making places comfortable on a budget." Which was kind of important. He at least had somewhere to sleep that kept him mostly dry, but that was about it. Almost anything would be an improvement.

--------------------
PM
^
Skeezix
 Posted: Sep 27 2016, 03:34 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

"Hrmmf.." If he was here for the plants well, she turned to another direction, chewing the corner of her lips for a moment. Most of the stuff that had come back with her from the NeverNever was technically edible... "I've got singing grape cuttings, a few varieties of fiddlehead-like ferns, ain't had shit for luck with gettin' any of the fruits to take in the local soil."

She emerged from behind the stack of reclaimed doors, wearing a much repaired and work-stained pair of cut-off sweatpants and a t-shirt that had both of the sleeves cut off to reveal there were tattoos on each shoulder; the right one had a violin wrapped in vines and thorns, the left had something that looked like a cartoon pig in a space helmet, and both of them bore ribbon banners. Those were the nice things that got noticed, because in the baking light of the a late summer afternoon sun, her shadow looked weird on the ground. Skeezix had no doubts that even this fella could smell that reek of animal sweat and clean-rotting pine as he got within about three feet of her.

"If you're here about getting a house made, I'm sorry but I g-got at least three weeks of waiting on getting one. I got some premade pull-alongs ready made. They may not be spacious, but they will be warm and weatherproof."

--------------------

PMEmail PosterAOL
^
Cern
 Posted: Oct 14 2016, 11:09 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

“Singing grapes sound entertaining.” Cern observed laconically. He supposed it depended on how well they sung.

She drew closer, and suddenly the little hairs on the nape of Cern’s neck stood up. There was something very odd about this woman, the breeze brought the scents of the forest, both plant an animal. She looked like a practical, dumpy Human girl, complete with Real World tats, but she didn’t smell like one. Suddenly he wasn’t so keen on hanging around.

But then normal people didn’t happen in Bordertown. Presumably something had brought her here, and it was just a little less obvious than his own reason.

“Like I said, I have a place to live.” Even if it was a rat’s nest up a tree. He quite liked it. “But if you do hammocks or cushions or something…” He shrugged. “Otherwise I’ll take a couple of grape vines and, ah, leave you to it.”

Something she’d said grabbed his attention, and his curiosity got the better of him. “What’s a pull-along?”

--------------------
PM
^
Skeezix
 Posted: Oct 14 2016, 11:37 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

"A small hut you can pull or push along like a wheelbarrow or a cart." She answered amiably, turning around and waving him to follow her. "I use one when I go out foraging in the Never Never."

Really, when you thought about it, the entire idea of a pull-along was a practical idea. You had shelter from the elements and for your trip back, something to haul your loot in. "I'll admit most of the plants I bring back are medicinal. Trying to see if I can get some of the varieties that Madame Wu asks for t'take root here, but that's been hit or miss."

"By the by, what's yer name?"

--------------------

PMEmail PosterAOL
^
Cern
 Posted: Oct 15 2016, 04:43 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

"Sounds... useful." The young man said at last. In a way it was pretty practical really, and could allow you to stay out there overnight and bring back a lot more than you could carry in a backpack. If you wanted to stay out there overnight, of course.

Wandering along in the girl’s wake, he looked around shamelessly at the stuff she’d accumulated. Clearly she was into building things, and it sounded like she’d found a niche in the market. “Cern.” He replied, pronouncing it with a hard C. “And you?” That information hadn’t come with the recommendation.

“I might be able to help you with those plants.” He volunteered after a moment. “I studied horticulture back in the World.” And currency with Mrs Wu was not to be sniffed at.

--------------------
PM
^
Skeezix
 Posted: Oct 15 2016, 06:13 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Cern...cern...antlers and something about science and...Something was tickling at the back of Skeezix's mind, half of a memory from almost ...it was definitely more than a few months ago at least. She hummed deep and resinous in her chest, trying to remember the details. They had met and her memory was pretty shitty these days while on the meds for anxiety. "Skeezix...though come October, that name may have to be laid to rest."

It was the name for a girl who had no idea what she had been doing when naming herself, after all. At least she was matter of fact about it, and it was pronounced with an emphasis on the SKI part of the first syllable.

As they walked amid the piles of junk, so neatly sorted, there were what looked like odd fences and structures set up in patches around the five empty shipping containers that had been claimed for a workshop of sorts. Various green things grew in pots of tin, clay or plastic. Some were shaded by large pieces of blue plastic barrels that had been cut to shape and then nailed over a particularly wooly looking plant, that had fronds of light olive green that more resembled a dust mop gone to seed. "You might well be able to help....I think I recall something about you growing good apples."

--------------------

PMEmail PosterAOL
^
Cern
 Posted: Oct 15 2016, 10:16 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

As he followed her through the neatest junkyard ever, Cern’s memory was also poking him and suggesting that, odd though she might be, this wasn’t the first time he’d seen this woman. Less of her last time though… because it had been cold. Markets in the park, hot chestnuts, and she’d been selling… something. Nope, that was all he was getting. He vaguely recalled getting distracted because someone had hung yet another Christmas bauble on his antlers at that moment.

“What happens in October?” He asked, vaguely curious. No one in Bordertown used the name they were born with, though they changed by general acclaim more often that personal choice. His seemed dumb now but it worked, and no one had twigged the origin yet. He told them he’d named himself after the Large Hadron Collider, because it was far cooler than he was. It was a lie.

And there were the ferns, kept in impromptu shade pots, amidst various other cuttings and seedlings in a myriad of containers. All awkwardness forgotten, he moved past her and squatted down in front of them. “Growing things is what I do.” He observed laconically as he studied them. He had a faint Scottish accent that grew stronger or weaker depending on how much he was concentrating.

“The shade is good; ferns also like moisture.” He observed, reaching out a tanned hand to feel the feathery fronds. Anyone who was watching really closely might almost think the fern looked a little healthier in those few moments, as did the plants nearby. Or it could be a trick of the light.

--------------------
PM
^
Skeezix
 Posted: Oct 16 2016, 02:06 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

"The barriers between all kinds of worlds gets thin, you might see a few dead people slumming it up in the bars, or something like that... it's also a good time to lay things to rest, if you got business with em." She was of course, referring to All Hallow's Eve, Witch Week, Dia de Los Muertos and whatever else happened to fall at that time when you made your final preparations for winter's cruel bite.

When he pushed past to get to the plants in their various little microclimates that had been roughly put together, Skeezix ..barked, softly under her breath. Well, he had said that his priority was the plants, and he was a priority to the plants present. "They seem to like ya."

It was a sort of grudging praise, getting the spores for the ferns to take in their soil beds had been a pain in the ass. Here this kid was showing up and all the plants were just falling over themselves to brighten up. "Watch out for the one that looks like moldy muppet dreads, that fuzz is more barbs and glue than actual fiber and your skin'll peel like a bad sunburn after a week."

--------------------

PMEmail PosterAOL
^
Cern
 Posted: Oct 18 2016, 09:49 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

(OOC: I realised I’d forgotten Cern’s accent.)

“Ye mean Halloween.” He deduced, not really having expected that an annual holiday would have much to do with personal change, but then again, given the way Bordertown celebrated it, it might. “I dinnae gen’rally have business with the deid, but I ken thair thaim that do.” After all, here the rules were more like guidelines, the boundaries between the realms were thin, and Bordertown even had it’s own Necromancer.

But for Cern it was living things that fascinated him, and plants in particular though some maintained he’d had a similar effect on their animals. That he wasn’t so sure about. “Yeah, like I sayed.” He shrugged. Plants were his thing. Some of these were quite interesting.

He snorted at her description of the odd, fuzzy thing. “Soonds like fun.” He observed laconically, straightening up and wiping his hands on his jeans. “Why d’ye keep it?” It wasn’t exactly the kind of thing you’d want as a house plant.

--------------------
PM
^
Skeezix
 Posted: Oct 18 2016, 10:31 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

"Like I said, Madame Wu." Skeezix answered, because Cern didn't seem to be the sort of flaming idiot who would attempt to steal it, now that he knew what it could do. "She smokes, simmers and pickles it before doing some kind of thing I got no gorram understandin' of, and it becomes part of the medicine for reducing scars and wounds."

At that, as if to punctuate her remark. she was reaching around her back to scratch furiously at a spot underneath the shirt. There was another visit to Wu in her immediate future for more of the gunk she had to boil and have poured into the thing that had consumed part of the scars. "This is the closest to town the damn thing has taken decent root to. I think it needs something from the Never Never on a regular basis, otherwise Wu would be growin' it herself hereabouts."

--------------------

PMEmail PosterAOL
^
Cern
 Posted: Oct 19 2016, 12:02 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

“Fascinatin’.” Cern drawled, though the sentiment was genuine enough. Madam Wu’s medical knowledge was uncanny, her abilities second to none. He wasn’t interested in the applications of the plants though; once they were harvested the halfie lost interest. Still, it made you wonder how Madam Wu worked such things out. Then again, that was probably one of those questions you weren’t sure you wanted to ask.

The antlered youth glanced at her as Skeezix scratched, but he was plainly more intrigued by the odd plant. “T’cuid be hard tae work oot whit it needs from the Ne’erNe’er.” He observed, though from the slightly unfocused look in his green eyes, it was plain that he was already thinking. “Still, I cuid give it a go. Like, on consignments, if ye want.” He offered.

He had, after all, just finished clearing a new section of the back block where he grew his vegetables. He wanted to get some fruit trees in, but good wood stock was hard to get hold of or expensive. His dream was a greenhouse.

--------------------
PM
^
Skeezix
 Posted: Oct 19 2016, 02:54 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

When he suggested giving growing those medicinal plants a go in his own yard, Skeezix mulled it over in her head almost immediately. Cern didn't know that most of what she grew was for her own issues, but perhaps they could come to a mutually beneficial arrangement. "Well, if you're willing to give it a go, there's a few others that got a little of the same issue."

She turned around and waved for him to follow her further through, "I got 'em in a mini greenhouse, but I could easily set that thing up to be a pull-along again in a day or two."

The scratching didn't stop, and as they walked, a few dark clumps of something fell out from the back of Skeezix's stained shirt as she scratched just a little harder.

--------------------

PMEmail PosterAOL
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

CWHP For Queen and Country Sanctuary The Jersey Devil WHAT A SHAME 1 on 1 RP
ETS Forsilvra: An Original Fantasy RPG
forum layout coded by revo. of (display:none) & rpg-directory.com
The Bordertown world was created by, and is copyrighted by, Terri Windling. The world, its landmarks and characters are used with her permission only. All rights to Borderland material are reserved by Ms. Windling and the authors of the Borderland books: Borderland, Bordertown, Life on the Border, Elsewhere, Nevernever, Finder, The Essential Bordertown and Welcome to Bordertown.
Have a question but everyone's asleep? Stop by our guest-friendly help desk.