Toggle Sidebar

Pages: (4) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Figuring Things Out, Draefend Seeks Out the Diggers
Draefend
 Posted: Jul 15 2017, 11:55 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

Player name: Draefend
Other Characters: N/A
Awards: None

Walking out of the Dancing Ferret, I head toward the alley. Pausing for a moment I feel something familiar. Reminiscent of the stalking exercises my father would put my brother and I through. I turn and look back at the bar. The figure watching me seems harmless enough, but all I can see from this position is the outline.

Ducking down the alley I trace my way back toward my former sleeping spot. Thankfully my pack remained where I hid it. Tracing my fingers over the wall of the abandoned building, I head out. Hopefully off the street for the last time. With so many possibilities in front of me, I realize how grateful I was for my time at the bar. An acknowledgement that I really could make it.

I wander the streets for a bit. Taking in the sights and sounds. Lost in my own personal escape. I cringe as two kids scream past on bikes without wheels. I stop a stranger on the street, asking for the Diggers. Water Street they say. Making my way on hope and a prayer, I find my way eventually.

Walking up the steps I take a breath. Knowing I look a mess, need at least one shower, could possibly offend someone with words I don't really understand, I find my nerves firing up. But I'm ready. The bar taught me a lot. I would forever be in Dish's favor. Steadily I knock on the door and wait.
PMEmail Poster
^
A body of the streets
 Posted: Jul 15 2017, 09:16 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

Player name: Marusia
Other Characters: Skeezix, Sierra

There wasn't that long of a wait. Even in the middle of the night, there's usually at least one of the Diggers up in the dim hours sitting in the kitchen with something going. Usually tea, or instant soup because some how the cliche of approaching in the middle of the night seems to indicate inactivity.

No, night time was when you had some poor soul attempting to rob the Digger Houses, or someone who took the wrong mix of drinks and drugs who needed to sleep it all off in a safe place. So not a second after the knock at the door a dark-skinned, muscular man in a stained wife-beater tank top that had the words 'Manic Pixie Nightmare Girls' printed in faded neon. "Come on in, but try and keep quiet, most of the others have sacked out in the bunks."
PMEmail Poster
^
Draefend
 Posted: Jul 16 2017, 04:43 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

Mildly surprised at how quickly someone answered the door was soon replaced by utter astonishment at the hulking figure who answered. Clearly if these Diggers had this beast watching over them, then I could rest assured that Dish was right; I'd finally found a safe place. Even if for only a fleeting moment.

I followed the man inside and gently shut the door behind me. Looking around, I soaked it all in. The building appeared to be bigger on the inside than it was out. At least two stories, indicates by an aging wooden staircase. I am overcome by the sights and sounds of habitation. I can tell there are people here of varying types. The sweet sting of sweat, a sense of despair gathered from the salt of recently shed tears, the tang of musk mixed with something of a sweet perfume; at least one pairing had a decent night it would seem. From what I could sense, this was a place of acceptance...just the thing I needed at the moment.

A soft glow creeps through my skin, and I dont even try to hide it. For the first time in what seems forever I am calm. I follow my guide down a hall, passing a long bulletin board, a coat rack, some kind of table, and into a larger room with long tables. Some sort of meeting room, clearly designed for eating. There are a few candles dancing here and there. The figure gestures to a table and I follow. Tossing my pack on a bench I sit next to it. Leaning against it, I watch. Suddenly hit with a comforting wave of exhaustion.
PMEmail Poster
^
A body of the streets
 Posted: Jul 17 2017, 10:23 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

Somewhere, someone is raising a ruckus about another person becoming a living night light, but that isn't here at the Water Street Diggers. Or at the very least, not the hulking guide doesn't seem that phased by the soft glow, heading for the stove and a spitting kettle.

He glanced over his shoulder to watch the Trueblood Noob finally collapse from whatever had brought him here and turned back to the kettle to pour out two mugs and plunk a muslin teabag in each.

Chamomile, by the smell of the tisane that was held out for him, "Welcome to the Diggers...I'm guessing someone was kind enough to tell you about us... did they tell you about the rules?"
PMEmail Poster
^
Draefend
 Posted: Jul 18 2017, 03:54 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

I take the tea in my hand and mutter a heartfelt thanks. Inadvertently my hand traces the scar across my face. I do this from time to time. Often not paying attention to small movements. With the magic on this side of the border so unstable, I wonder how visible it is. The glow of my skin makes me think it's not that bad. The steaming cup in front of me reminds me of a past conversation.

I wince in agony. My mother drags the cloth across my face. A solitary tear snakes its way down my cheek. "Why do you continue to test his limits, child?" I don't even know how to respond. So this is my fault? He purposefully fillets me with a dueling dagger and this is my fault? No...I will not stand for it. This is the last time. I move to say as much to mother, but she stops me. "He just wants the best for you. He is trying to prepare you for life. Politics is a dangerous and beautiful game. And you must play by the rules or the game will get the best of you." I want to explain that I stopped playing the game a while ago. That I'd given up...but I'm too much of a coward. "He is sadistic. This has gone too far, and has nothing to do with my education." The last word comes out as a snarl. Mother slams down the healing salve. "I was going to apply this you know. But I think it best to not. Everything in life is a lesson child. And you would do well to understand that. Maybe now you'll see this scar as a reminder of this fact. And know this my son...this will be a bright and beautiful scar you've brought upon yourself." she rakes a finger across my throbbing flesh as she stands to leave. "Drink your tea....you'll need strength for what's to come."

I looked at my host. "I've been following rules all my life. Yours seem simple enough. No drugs. No violence. Chip in. I can handle that.....I just....I need help." Resting my head on the table I drink in the aroma of the tea. Closing my eyes, I bite my lip and ask softly, "When they say no drugs...does that mean in the house, or period?"
PMEmail Poster
^
A body of the streets
 Posted: Jul 18 2017, 06:11 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

"No drugs in the house. There're rare exceptions made for severe medical reasons, but we've got folks here who come in to get clean and a lot of the time won't care whose things they steal to get their next fix when withdrawal hits." The man answered Drae's question amiably, sitting down at the table with his own cup of chamomile tea. "Sounds like your guide might've missed the 'no weapons in the house' rule, but we can't expect everyone to have perfect memories."

There is concern, plain in the man's brown eyes and furrowed brow as he watched Drae, thinking of that first statement. "I think...before we go into what kind of help you're looking for...maybe an introduction is in order. You can call me Pibbs."
PMEmail Poster
^
Draefend
 Posted: Jul 22 2017, 07:08 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

Pibbs....I let it roll around in my brain. He seems friendly enough. I reflect on his last rule. I don't rememer Dish telling me no weapons. This presents a slight problem. With my father's dueling rod tucked away in an inner fold of my cloak, a blade in my boot, and several in my pack I wonder if it's worth mentioning. I could probably sell or trade the lesser blades. One is carved of silver. But the dueling rod...that has a larger purpose. One I'm not willing to abandon at this point. But that's a headache for a different night. Right or wrong I choose to simply ignore it for the time being.

Shifting uncomfortably for a moment, I let it pass. Pibbs seems to genuinely care. I find that comforting. And he makes a hell of a cup of tea. I meet his gaze. "Here...I go by..." Well shit. I know what I told Dish. But is that enough. No one can know who I really am. Yet simple is better. And the best hiding spot is often in plain sight. "I think I'll go by Draefend." At least I feel I should. It's close enough to the real thing that I won't forget who I am. And far enough away that most of the worlds won't get my little joke. "But for short, please call me Drae." I flash a smile and take a sip of tea. Moon and stars this is delicious.
PMEmail Poster
^
A body of the streets
 Posted: Jul 22 2017, 06:16 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

Pibbs nods, noticing the uncomfortable shift in Drae's posture as the 'no weapons rule sinks in'. So the kid is armed, which means he'll have to be a stickler and an ass about this. Well, no reason he couldn't be subtle about it. "Alright Drae, I'm going to see about getting you a lockbox for your stuff, can you think of anything else you might need right away before we find you a bunk for the night?"

Honestly it's just a chamomile tea, but after a while you get a knack for these things. Or you borrow the seasoned clay teapot that someone else had left behind here.
PMEmail Poster
^
Draefend
 Posted: Jul 22 2017, 06:32 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

I look Pibbs in the eye. He's studying me. I can tell. It was stupid of me. I should have known better. I'm sure he has had similar conversations with countless souls like me. I take a sip of tea, sighing with a hint of exhaustion. But I'm greatful since he has given me a way out. At least I might be able to save face and still have a place to sleep when it's all said and done.

I clear my throat. The red of embarrassment sinking deep into my skin. "I....ummmm." Faced with a choice, I figure it's easier just to come clean. Well...almost clean. Even if someone were to find the rod, they wouldn't know what to do with it unless they had been trained. And if they were, then I'd have bigger issues than violating a squatter house rule. I seems I can get away with most of the truth. "Fuck it." I draw the silver blade from my boot and slap it down on the table with the handle facing Pibb. "Sell that one. Should fetch a decent price even on this side of the border. But I'd appriciate it if you didn't tell anyone where you got it." I dig through my pack and lay three blades alongside the larger one. "These aren't worth as much...but that's it. That's what I have..."
PMEmail Poster
^
A body of the streets
 Posted: Jul 22 2017, 06:51 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

There was more gentleness in Pibbs expression as the kid finally came clean about his weapons. Nicely hid too, from the look of things. "I'm not going to take them away from you, we're just going to lock them up and you can get em back when you go out again. It's alright you have em, you just can't hold onto them inside of a Digger house." He gave Drae a friendly pat on the shoulder and went into some closet, rummaging inside before coming out with a lockbox that could fit the three smaller blades easily, and with a little wedging the long silver as well.

"You can use your own spell to lock it, or we've got a couple peacebonding rope scraps around in the junk drawer." He continued, making his way over to the mentioned area as someone else walked past in the hallway, headed up towards one of the bunks. The other Digger waved and only stopped long enough to give Drae a friendly, if tired wave before climbing up the stairs. "I'll try to just use the cold water to wash up, Pibbs, Kid probably needs a hot wash."

Or three.

"Thanks, Elkie. Skeezix is going to be cooking breakfast for us tomorrow, by the way."

"Thought she still had that nasty back problem?"

"She does, but if that girl doesn't find some place to sink all of that nervous energy, something is going to end up on fire."
PMEmail Poster
^
Draefend
 Posted: Jul 22 2017, 07:02 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

Breathing a sigh of relief, I realize what a fool I'd been. I didn't have to ditch my stuff. That was a relief. I needed to stop being so paranoid. Watching how Pibbs interacted with the newcomer...I could tell this truly was a sanctuary. I was so many miles from home. Noone knew me. I was safe. I could be at ease. And I could be honest. I finish my tea. And decide to play this hand right.

"Pibbs...since your locking stuff up...." I reach into the inner folds of my cloak and pull out the clasped dueling rod. "Can you lock this up too? Please?"
PMEmail Poster
^
A body of the streets
 Posted: Jul 22 2017, 07:34 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

"No problem," ..Pibbs, might've been smiling with a little more amusement than was necessary, but he nodded and let Drae place the dueling rod inside of the ammobox that served as a weapons locker for some people. There were indeed, a few peacebonding rope scraps, red, green, ink-stained blue, black and dingy white being held out, along with a combination lock. "The lock has been around a while, so most of the Diggers know the combo."

PMEmail Poster
^
Draefend
 Posted: Jul 22 2017, 07:42 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

As Pibbs hands me the box, he offers me a warning. Or at least that's how I took it. But I had enough skill to be able to modify the lock magically. I just hope things are stable enough to where I don't screw it up. The last thing I want is to not be able to get back into it. After it's done I hand it back to Pibbs.

"Did the kid who came in? Did....they mention something about a shower?"
PMEmail Poster
^
A body of the streets
 Posted: Jul 22 2017, 08:03 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

"Elkie, she's one of us Diggers, works a night job bussing to help keep us afloat." Pibbs gently informed Drea, setting the locked box at the top of a wire rack with many such boxes on it's shelves. The young highborn could probably take some comfort in knowing he hadn't been the only one to surrender weapons. "And yeah, she did, we've got a couple, one for delousing and three others, in different parts of the building.."

Noticably, there was a gurgling in the ancient and much mended pipes as overhead, someone indeed was starting to take their shower. There were also footfalls of someone having gotten up rather shakily and moving about.
PMEmail Poster
^
Draefend
 Posted: Jul 22 2017, 08:16 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

"Pibbs....you've been....I mean...." I stop to wonder what I mean. I stand up, swaying on my feet. Realizing how tired I am, I use the table to steady myself. "I don't deserve all this. But I am greatful. I've been on the move too long. And I'll do whatever it takes to give back, I swear. Just tell me what I can do and it's done."
PMEmail Poster
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (4) 1 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

CWHP For Queen and Country Sanctuary The Jersey Devil WHAT A SHAME 1 on 1 RP
ETS Forsilvra: An Original Fantasy RPG
forum layout coded by revo. of (display:none) & rpg-directory.com
The Bordertown world was created by, and is copyrighted by, Terri Windling. The world, its landmarks and characters are used with her permission only. All rights to Borderland material are reserved by Ms. Windling and the authors of the Borderland books: Borderland, Bordertown, Life on the Border, Elsewhere, Nevernever, Finder, The Essential Bordertown and Welcome to Bordertown.
Have a question but everyone's asleep? Stop by our guest-friendly help desk.