Toggle Sidebar

Pages: (4) « First ... 2 3 4  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Figuring Things Out, Draefend Seeks Out the Diggers
Skeezix
 Posted: Jul 30 2017, 07:53 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Player name: Ru
Other Characters: Sierra
Awards: 5

Why did she ever hope that boys had the good sense that the gods had ever given an eggplant, Skeezix asked herself. It had been proven, growing with two Lowland Wisconsin Gorillas for little brothers, time and time again by the boys and their friends.. Why did she ever keep hoping that they would show some sort of sense?

Setting down the wooden crate of cooking gear she had dragged out, Skeezix motioned for Marigold's attention and began to flash several hand signs at him. The days after having her hearing damaged had been quick studies into a deeper understanding of ASL. It wasn't perfect, but it worked.

New boy is STUPID

Marigold raised an eyebrow. All new bodies are

Special stupid. He leaves coins. BIG BIG coin. She grunted and swiped back furiously. Miracle not robbed or dead

It got wilder as Marigold laughed, as she strode up to Marigold, it was easy to see her real height. the Trueblood Digger stood at a good six foot eight inches, where Skeezix was barely pushing five foot nine inches if she stood on tiptoe. He waved her down, signing back, Not your problem.

The strident chirp and trilling that came Marigold's way was probably not going to pass through the translation spell, but it didn't really need to. He held up his hands and signed, Tell him.

Grrnnnnnnnnnhhhhh......

"Drae, you didn't need to leave that coin. You're helping with chores, that means by default, you're gonna get fed." Skeezix huffed, turning to him, hands on her hips. "You ain't in trouble, but you gotta be more careful with your coin. You don't have an infinite supply, and flashing too much of it will get trouble hunting you."

She looked up at Marigold again a moment and rolled her eyes. Fine, so she was going to be doing this. "We'll get breakfast done, and I'll prolly sleep during the hottest part of the day. After that...Madame Wu's and we'll see what else." She flashed handsigns at Marigold again.

Would make BAD Digger

You make ok Digger

Fuck no. Like weed too much. "Pbbbbht."

--------------------
avatar provided by the incredible Sfe Monster!

Anyone wanting to mug a troll had better be using a building on a stick

"We live and learn, or perhaps more importantly, we learn and live."
PMEmail PosterAOL
^
Draefend
 Posted: Jul 30 2017, 10:37 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

Player name: Draefend
Other Characters: N/A
Awards: None

I realize the hell I've unleashed the moment Skeezix starts moving her fingers. I brace myself, waiting for the magic to wash over me. It takes a moment before I understand she isn't going to cast at me. Marigold responds, and I get the sense they are communicating with their hands. Fascinated, I make it a point to learn. The pure effectiveness of being able to talk with nothing more than hand gestures...the idea is simply addicting. But before I can ask about it, Skeezix turns her attention to me. And I now receive the lecture I thought I'd at least get thtrough to the morning without.

It's comforting, knowing these two care enough to warn me, and I say as much. "Skeezix, I appriciate the warning. And the coin wasn't payment for breakfast. It was....a gift. For getting me through a stormy night. You're right...my supply isn't endless...but it's big enough to give you an opportunity to resupply." I look around, thinking now is an opportunity to show off a bit. Getting an idea in my head, I continue, "And if someone really feels the need to try and rob me..." I walk over to her box of supplies and take out two of her cooking knives. Sharper than my training blades, they'll do fine for a demonstration. I grab one of the cloths Marigold was using, walk over to the wood stack and mark two Xs roughly two feet apart. Walking back aways, I stand a few paces from Marigold and Skeezix. Taking the cloth I bind it around my head, covering my eyes. I spin in circles a few times, softly sing the song that's been drilled into my head, and the backyard opens itself to me behind my eyes. I fall to my knees in an overdramatic flash as I let the blades fly. As I roll foward, I rise back to my feet and pull the cloth from my eyes. As always the trick worked; two knives stick dead center in the two Xs. I can't keep from grinning. I retrieve the blades, feeling happier than I have in years. I wipe the knives with the cloth as I walk back over to Skeezix, bowing in an overly flamboyant style as I hand her the blades, handles pointed out to her.

"Your point is well taken. I'll be more careful. But please know that I'm ready to deal with a little trouble...if I need to. And I meant what I said. Thanks...for looking over me. Feeding me. And not tossing me out. A gift was the least I could do. Now...what's left to be done? I'm not ready to face a crowd...and I want to search for clothes and a style while you are sleeping. Then I will gladly accompany you over to this Mrs. Wu." Skeezix's look is fantastic, and no matter how serious I try to remain, I can't keep from grinning widely.
PMEmail Poster
^
Skeezix
 Posted: Jul 31 2017, 04:19 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

"Only the knives and a few of the baking pans are mine, in any sense of ownership. The foodstuff supplies were mostly gathered up by the Diggers, except for the fruit and preserves." It felt like an obligation to mention that to him, because she knew what was hers and what wasn't. The flour and eggs and milk and most of what not were things that the Water Street crew had gathered because her breakfasts brought everyone to the yard. Everyone just happened to being a shitload of donations when they stopped by. After a moment of very careful inspection of the tips of her cooking knives, she carefully put them away, fussing over them.

"We've got a bin of donated clothes, along with the stuff that she repairs and decorates whenever she stays with us to recover from some incident." Marigold offered, as he went inside to get more of the supplies, such as the heavy milk jugs and bring them outside. "I think some of the franken-stitched shirts will serve you well enough..."

--------------------

PMEmail PosterAOL
^
Draefend
 Posted: Jul 31 2017, 06:53 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

I nod in appriciation and take Marigold's lead. Helping gather up the remaining supplies. I add cooking knives to my list of things to forrage as I'm out and about. It's evident how much Skeezix cares. Both about her supplies and resident cooking responsibilities. I offer thanks for tips regarding the clothes and look around. "Seems we are in a good spot. If it's not too much trouble...I'm going to slink away for a bit. I'll be back this afternoon to head over and see this Mrs. Wu."
PMEmail Poster
^
Skeezix
 Posted: Jul 31 2017, 07:42 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

By then, dawn's spread her golden pink hair all over the horizon, and people are drifting towards the Digger House. Obviously, drawn by the smells and a few other early-risers who have put out signs saying 'The Ferret's Baker Breakfast!" painted on pieces of plywood and cardboard all about the perimeter of the house. Under the bright words are smaller ones, reading 'Donations Highly Encourage!!!' in neat black print.

Not that Skeezix has had any time to leave the stoves or the kitchen since they started up. She's bustled from stove to stove, holding her hand over the hot metal to check from time to time, and even sticking her entire arm into the brick oven to gauge the temperature. Crude covers are quickly built out of tinfoil to keep the embers and ashes from getting into cakes and muffins by a pair of Diggers dressed in coveralls stained with substances best not pondered, while someone takes over one of the stoves and several crates of eggs to start flinging out omelettes several ways.

Drae will find a plate set aside for him, with a few scrambled eggs and some odd sort hot, fresh, fried dough ball dusted with sugar. By Mab's grace the hot berry preserves inside are a marvel and clearly someone's handiwork. Marigold is managing the workers and having someone lead Skeezix off towards a quiet spot to sleep, once the girl starts dazedly wandering between two stoves, having forgotten what she was doing. "Go ahead..but try to stay on Ho street, or Mock Avenue. alright?" Marigold said as the stocky, exhausted young woman is lead off and away, before turning back to the brunette halfie managing Skeezix. "Try and make sure she takes the meds with a whole jug of water."

--------------------

PMEmail PosterAOL
^
Draefend
 Posted: Aug 2 2017, 04:21 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

I watch in the background. Skeezix is a conductor weaving a symphony as people weave past the stove taking plates of food. The calm is amazing as oeople laugh and share stories. I grab a plate of food and sink back toward the house. Tossing a wave to Marigold, I head back to the kitchen. Eating in silence, I am once again amazed at her ability. I wash the dish and put it back before heading out the front door and out into town.
PMEmail Poster
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (4) « First ... 2 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

CWHP For Queen and Country Sanctuary The Jersey Devil WHAT A SHAME 1 on 1 RP
ETS Forsilvra: An Original Fantasy RPG
forum layout coded by revo. of (display:none) & rpg-directory.com
The Bordertown world was created by, and is copyrighted by, Terri Windling. The world, its landmarks and characters are used with her permission only. All rights to Borderland material are reserved by Ms. Windling and the authors of the Borderland books: Borderland, Bordertown, Life on the Border, Elsewhere, Nevernever, Finder, The Essential Bordertown and Welcome to Bordertown.
Have a question but everyone's asleep? Stop by our guest-friendly help desk.