Toggle Sidebar

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Searching for beer and a friendly face
Draefend
 Posted: Jun 6 2017, 09:10 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

Player name: Draefend
Other Characters: N/A
Awards: None

I have been wandering around in darkness for too long. Trying to get my bearings, I make my way through quiet streets. Not too many faces out and about. The way things are going at the moment...I find that a blessing...and a curse. I pull my cloak tighter around myself, and pull my hood down as far as it will go.

I hear music playing from a lone club. The place looks as dusty and grime covered as me. I have a vision...a vague memory. Someone once told me if I ever make it to the town between worlds I would find sanctuary in the tavern of an old wizard. With most of the buildings around me shuttered, I hesitantly approach the front doors.

Upon entering, I see a few scattered souls about the place. I approach the long bar trying to control my breathing. The fear I have been feeling since I arrived begins to shift, to slowly melt away. I sit at a stool and notice the tender, with their back to me. I watch through raised eyes from the brim of my cloak. Trying hard to keep my face hidden, nervous and uncertain how others will see me.

The creature seems to be cleaning a glass. I wonder if it's coincidental or if is it really expecting someone. Maybe even.....me?
PMEmail Poster
^
A body of the streets
 Posted: Jun 14 2017, 05:12 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

Player name: Marusia
Other Characters: Skeezix, Sierra

The tender on duty at the moment did keep his back to the newcomer for a while, not that he hadn't noticed this Trueblood come in. Hell, half of the clientele here had, the lad might as well have had a sign saying 'FRESH FROM THE REALM' in the same dancing neon as the sign that read Dancing Ferret out front. It was one of those nights where the weather definitely had a sadistic sense of humor, humid enough to peel cheap wallpaper from plaster in the summer heat. Between that that the fine cloak that looked like it'd gotten dragged through five miles of trash-filled back alleys...

Well, someone would've taken pity on the poor soul.

That someone was not the current bartender, standing in for Farrel Din while the old man was handling 'business'. The ginger and freckled man..no, halfie for there were traces of the silver of the One True Realm in his eyes and skin, turned and beamed cheerfully at the customer after setting the glass into the racks.
user posted image

"What'll it be?"
PMEmail Poster
^
Draefend
 Posted: Jun 16 2017, 03:56 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

I gaze at the creature behind the bar. Familiar and yet so new all at the same time. I can sense a part of it hails from the realm. But part of it is also of elsewhere. Perhaps the world? I start to relax, and it calms me. I can feel my shell settle. My skin doesn’t feel as if it’s crawling any more. For the first time since I left I feel....settled. I stare into the ocean that its eyes, both in color and depth and I wonder. I understand it’s asking me “what’ll it be.”

I try to speak. Gripping my cloak around me I look into its eyes from under my hood. In the tongue of the realm I ask, “Are you the Greeter? I’ve been told I can find sanctuary if I make it to.....” Shit. I can’t remember the name of the sanctuary. Then I’m struck with a thought. Can it even understand me? My voice is strained. My throat feels dusty. I’m starving and I’m thirsty. On the verge of panic I can feel the tingling sensation under my skin. In desperation I pray for my skin to stay solid. Hoping it knows what I’m saying I utter a simple word....as soft as a whisper....help.
PMEmail Poster
^
A body of the streets
 Posted: Jun 16 2017, 07:59 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

Fresh from the realm, scared, possibly crazy and not able to even manage a translation spell. Peachy.

Niles shook his head in a clear sign of whatever this Highborn FotR had said, it hadn't made itself understandable. Turning around to send the ruffles of the skirt on his dress to twirl out behind him, the bartender made to grab a thick glass stein from a rack and move down the wall of kegs, taps and bottles of various liquors. Well, he'd show some mercy to this fella, maybe not give him the most amusing drink...

Well, that ruled out the herbal vodka their baker had been stewing out in the open for the past month. Niles did pause before the spigot for a moment before thinking better of it and pouring out something else, a little more familiar.

One of those thick Lambics from the realm, nearly a meal in itself. Of course it was served only slightly cooler than room temperature, anything else was a sin against the drink.

That stein of dark frothy amber, a plate with two slices of thick fluffy bread, and a tub of some kind of yellowish spread flecked with little bits of green was set in front of the kid with a rough sheet of paper about the size of one's spread hand, wood printed in a crude elvish script.

'House of the Onion: Elvish only, Realm Script Accepted'

It had a small map printed on the back.
PMEmail Poster
^
Draefend
 Posted: Jun 16 2017, 08:28 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

I can barely hold back the tears as the plate and drink are placed in front of me. It understood I needed help. And it understood what I needed most. A hand shooting to my stomach as it rolls deep with the sound of thunder. I've lost track of time. Has it been three? Four days? How long have I been going on water from puddles and scraps from the alley? I can practically feel my skin glowing from the excitement.

I rip apart the bread. Scarfing it down, I choke. My throat burning from the dryness of itself and the bread. But I want more. Need more. Shoving it into my mouth with one hand, I down the amber liquid with my other.

Instantly I am on the estate. I can see my brother and father sitting at the table. Drinking the same, if not a similar vintage. My mother smiling at me from her seat. I stand watch. Always the faithful servant. The beer leaving me wanting. Wondering. Regretting?

I slam the empty glass on the bar. Shocking myself as the handle cracks. I wince...panicking...watching the tender...afraid of what comes next. Eyeing the parchment, tracing it with my fingers I can feel my face burning. The skin on the back of my hand ripples. I slam my eyes shut. Praying not to lose control. I finally found a friendly face and now I've pissed it away.

I breathe deep while I look the creature in the eye. Longing deeply for understanding. My desire for companionship painfully palpable. I stare, downcast...hoping for its mercy. Whispering, my words ever so audible, an old proverb my mother would recite to soothe me, "The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep"
PMEmail Poster
^
Draefend
 Posted: Jun 16 2017, 08:32 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

Soflty speaking once more, "The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep.....?"
PMEmail Poster
^
A body of the streets
 Posted: Jun 20 2017, 06:18 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

Oh boy....this was a Noob with a big damn capital N. Starving, by the way he'd wolfed down both slices of bread before bolting down the Lambic.

Niles turned to the side and shook his head, because once the Rich Kids felt what starving felt like, they were worse than stray dogs with their manners. The stein cracking down on the bar top made the bartender and a few of the dozen patrons jolt upright and look back at this kid.

For a moment, Niles' gaze went to the busted beer stein and then up the arm still connected to it.

Crap, he'd made eye contact and this kid was spouting something in Elvish to him, and it clearly not being a translation spell. Crap. Closing his eyes as he sighed, Niles put one hand to his forehead and shook his head.

Fine. He'd feed the Noob another load of bread slices, and from now on tap water.

Drumming his fingers on the bar top for a moment, he waved in the air, softly singing the last few lines of George Thorogood's One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer into a close cousin of the spell he was gonna need.

<Kid. Did you get dropped on your head when you passed through the Gate? Use a translation spell. Hardly anyone speaks your gab.>
PMEmail Poster
^
Draefend
 Posted: Jun 20 2017, 04:12 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

I watch. Entranced by the creatures eyes, I nearly miss the movement of its hand. Reality comes crashing down and again I am transported to a time far away.

"Try again Feredir! You. Need. To. Focus!" I wince with each of the four words, as he rakes the whip across my back. I look into the eyes of my tormentor as I try to breathe. I let the magic flow through me. Focus. Calm. Relax. I work the spell and recite the required lines again. My father snorts his approval and whips me once more. "Pain makes practice perfect...Feredir." Tossing the whip down next to me he kicks me in the side as he storms out. My brother snickers in the corner before trailing behind. Pain makes practice perfect....

I remember the spell. I don't understand how I could have been stupid enough to forget. The barkeep wasn't ignoring me. It couldn't understand me. Relaxing slightly I wave my hand in the required motion. Letting the spell move through me as I work the magic for mastery of tongues. With eyes downcast I speak, praying it can understand me.

"My humble apologies.... I.... It's just that you have the appearance of the blood. It never occurred to me that you wouldn't be able to understand me. How is it you've come to forget the language of the Realm? Is it a curse?"

I stare, wanting to ask so many questions now that I think it can understand what I'm saying.
PMEmail Poster
^
A body of the streets
 Posted: Jun 20 2017, 06:58 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

One of the other patrons, upon hearing this translated tried very politely to not choke on their drink with laughter and as such, only managed to just choke on their cider. The chubby bearded person waved off Niles attempting to come closer and pointedly produced their own flannel rag for cleaning up.

The case for this kid having been beaten about the head was getting far too strong, but there were some lessons he had to learn fast.

"...Kid, you're lucky you asked that here, and not in any other bar." Nile's eyes went steely. "Cause I ain't ever been to your saintly Realm, that's for certain. You better be careful from now on, who you ask that."
PMEmail Poster
^
Draefend
 Posted: Jun 21 2017, 11:29 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

Looking around, everyone is staring at me. What's more, I can visibly see the shift in posture from the curious creature behind the bar. I had naturally assumed it was a Trueblood who maybe had been out of the Realm too long. But now I'm not so sure. I've clearly given offense, but I don't understand how.

I lower my hood for the first time. Meeting the barkeep's gaze for a moment, I reluctantly settle on the fact that I should perhaps offer an apology. With a heavy sigh I begin.

"My apologies...it...it's just...you seemed so familiar to me. If not cursed to forget the Realm, then perhaps a curse to resemble it? Always forced to wear the appearance of what can never be fully achieved. I imagine it's a painful existence. I truly regret any additional pain my ignorance may have caused."

With a terse nod and a steady gaze, I toy with the parchment previously provided. Now that I've made ammends for whatever I did to offend the poor creature, I open my mouth to begin asking the first of many questions spinning through my head.
PMEmail Poster
^
A body of the streets
 Posted: Jun 28 2017, 10:40 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

..This kid was an epic level Noob.

"Well, for starters...stop assuming I was born in your sainted Realm and go from there." Niles replied tartly before heading off to handle a customer who was waving from a table for another round on their table of friends.

He'd been deprived of his fun with giving the Noob a sample of their baker's 'Herbal Cheese Spread', since the kid'd devoured the bread down without a glance towards the rest of the plate. Fuck this shit, he had a living to earn.

The other creature at the bar carefully watched the new kid with some measure of interest, neither malicious, nor cruel...just....openly watching. Extremely rude for Trueblood or Realm standards by any means, which was in itself, not unexpected. They bore not even the faintest hint of the Blood, round and more like some large land mammal than anything else.

Likely one of the humans that lived in this town, the culture that held the source of Rock n' Roll and produced the denims so coveted.

"You oughta be more careful about what you say to a halfie in the future, Spudnik."

user posted image

"Just a mild warning."
PMEmail Poster
^
Draefend
 Posted: Jul 1 2017, 07:57 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

I turn; startled for a moment as I take in my surroundings. I had been so captivated by the curious thing tending the bar that I never noticed the creature practically sitting next to me.

I watch it for a moment. Rounded ears. Rounded eyes. Seemingly covered in long braided hair. I seem to have come across my first human. Taking in every detail, I savor the moment. Studying, I try to remember the lessons of my youth. It seems gentle enough. And with the decorative styled hair, it must be a female.

I try to remember protocol. Never my strongest subject, I try my best.

"Miss....perhaps you could explain what I've done wrong? I don't understand what upset the poor creature behind the bar." I bow my head slightly and continue. "I never meant to offend it. I just can't figure out what it is. You said something about speaking to a.....a....halfie?" "Half of what? I want to heed your warning. But how would I even know if I was talking to another? Are there many of these things?"
PMEmail Poster
^
A body of the streets
 Posted: Jul 2 2017, 08:41 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

"Halfie...as in Half Trueblood, Half Human? And those are the barely polite terms." The 'woman' spoke carefully, patiently, as if instructing a particularly dim child. "Sometimes they're from the pairing of lovin parents, but around here... ha." That final syllable was a humorless laugh before they took a long slug of their own chilled amber bottle of something. "A lotta them are cause the Trueblood baby daddies din't want a thang to do with the accident of conception."

"They're sorta common, but get a lot of shit from either side of their parentage so.....if someone shows only a few signs of yer place of origin....don't talk about it 'less they bring it up." Their round face wrinkled up in a little wince of minor disgust before glancing at the Highborn. "Doesn't help that everyone here can tell you're from the Nobby end of the spectrum with the Truebloods. Y'ain't slummin' it though."

And that was puzzling, because usually most Highborns that ran away to Soho had a little more planning done about their escape.
PMEmail Poster
^
Draefend
 Posted: Jul 2 2017, 12:35 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

It takes me a moment to understand exactly what has been said. Half human....half true? Surely such an abomination wouldn't be allowed to stand! I had been told stories as a child...of the dangers of humans. How they would steal true children and attempt to raise them as their own. But the sinister idea of a breeding scheme made every horror story I was told as a child pale in comparison.

I look my new found companion in the eye and ask, "Accidental conception? Such a thing is impossible. Conception is a deliberate act. I....it just doesn't make any sense. No wonder it suffers from mood swings." I glance saddly at the bartender before returning my gaze back to the human.

"Nobby end of the spectrum? I'm not familar with the meaning. So don't ask people where they come from? That is easy enough." I pull my cloak around me. I shiver. Taking a deep breath I ask the human, "I need to get off the street. I....I need.....well to be honest I don't know what I need. You're the first being to talk to me in days. Well....you and the sad creature serving drinks. And it seems I've ruined the chance for its help." Staring longingly at the human, I whisper, "You're all I have..."
PMEmail Poster
^
A body of the streets
 Posted: Jul 3 2017, 10:33 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon
----

"Sweetie, when I say accidental conception... ...I meant it on his momma's end. Human women don't have access to the same conception methods y'all from the Realm do. And even the ones available ain't a 100% certainly effective." The human took another long swig and drained the bottle. "And he did help you. That piece of paper is directions to a hostel, place where you can get a bunk to sleep and a meal to eat."

There was another pause, before they looked this elven Noob from head to toe before displaying the patience to explain shit to him. "'Nobby end' means that everyone can tell you came from one of the richer or more...influential folks up on the Hill."

"Your cloak for example, it might shield you, but cause of the quality on it and all of the embroidery... well... think about it. You see much like that being worn around here?"

"...tell you what. We'll see when the next round of the Heralds or the Diggers show up, you can get free bunks with Diggers if you follow their rules."
PMEmail Poster
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

CWHP For Queen and Country Sanctuary The Jersey Devil WHAT A SHAME 1 on 1 RP
ETS Forsilvra: An Original Fantasy RPG
forum layout coded by revo. of (display:none) & rpg-directory.com
The Bordertown world was created by, and is copyrighted by, Terri Windling. The world, its landmarks and characters are used with her permission only. All rights to Borderland material are reserved by Ms. Windling and the authors of the Borderland books: Borderland, Bordertown, Life on the Border, Elsewhere, Nevernever, Finder, The Essential Bordertown and Welcome to Bordertown.
Have a question but everyone's asleep? Stop by our guest-friendly help desk.