The NeverNever is more than we think..., Open
Yoroubi
 Posted: Mar 15 2015, 05:06 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Player name: Brandon
Other Characters: N/A
Awards: None

A spark of light, and a muttered oath...

Another spark, and a flash of white...

A flame springs up, dancing and wavering atop a candle, illuminating a face long unseen in these parts, a face more weathered and worn and exhausted than any who knew him before would remember him. Yoroubi picked through the tattered remains of the house he'd once run as a safehouse for those who hadn't found their place in B-town yet, shaking his head with a grimace at the work ahead of him to get it up and running.

He set to work, digging around for more candles, lighting each and setting one in each of the four front windows, and tucked one into the candelabra above the door, pausing to check the mark he'd carved into the door-frame years back when he'd bought this place. Still there, though he'd probably have to dig it a bit deeper. Weather had worn away much of the surrounding wood, making the symbol a bit difficult to see even from this close.

Making a note of that, he turned back into the building, beginning what was sure to be a long process of cleaning, gathering destroyed materials, and getting replacements. Hopefully, though, with the candles lit once more, people would start to trickle in. He wondered, for a moment, as he worked, if Queena and Victoria were still around, two of his staunchest assistants from before the lure of the NeverNever had snatched at his heartstrings and drawn him off into things he would NEVER speak of...
PMMSN
^
Skeezix
 Posted: Mar 15 2015, 05:40 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Player name: Ru
Other Characters: Sierra
Awards: 5

So perhaps some nights the roads inside of Bordertown would spit someone from the poorer districts out into the yards and alleys of the very well-to-do citizens. Nothing especially terrible about that, unless you happened to be carrying something heavy. That was currently the case for Skeezix, having gone out to get a small cart loaded up with a mixture of empty tin cans and perishable food stuffs.

Okay, so supposedly there was a Digger sub-house in the area somewhere, at least according to some of the candles she was seeing lit in the windows of one building.

Steeling up the ball of nerves currently making itself known in her gut, she knocked at the side entrance of the building. It really wasn't feasible to drag the cart all the way up to the front and back down again. Fancy neighborhood this may well be, but that didn't mean that anybody here was senseless enough to leave things laying around. She felt distinctly... out of place here amid mansions, brownstones and castles... like a street cat having wandered into a fancy dog show.

--------------------
avatar provided by the incredible Sfe Monster!

Anyone wanting to mug a troll had better be using a building on a stick

"We live and learn, or perhaps more importantly, we learn and live."
PMEmail PosterAOL
^
Yoroubi
 Posted: Mar 15 2015, 06:00 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Yoroubi's chin came up at the knock, and his tails swirled rapidly for a moment before settling down again. Carefully bundling the ruined bedding together, he set it aside near the broken washer - he'd have to see about getting that replaced eventually, maybe someone had finally figured out how to fuse magic and technology, he'd have to talk to a Rune Lord for that, though - and moved over to the door, stepping gingerly around a pile of broken cot frames.

Opening the door, he put on a gentle smile, and inclined his head. "Good evening," he said quietly. "I'm afraid you've caught me a bit unprepared, just returned from a long journey to find the safehouse in disrepair." He glanced around outside. "But if that doesn't bother you, I can happily offer you a corner to sleep in. It'll at least be warmer in here than out there."

He stepped aside, and then laughed. "Where are my manners? My name is Yoroubi, and welcome to Heiwateki Suimin, Digger Safehouse and Residence-in-Transit for those recently arrived in Bordertown, or those down on their luck."
PMMSN
^
Skeezix
 Posted: Mar 15 2015, 06:19 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Well...the young lady standing in front of him froze for a moment, before answering in a stiff stilted voice that carried a faint humming under current of magic under it, "Uh... i... I'd really appreciate a corner to sleep in. Where should I park my cart, so nothing gets stolen?"

Skeezix fidgeted with her hands a moment before peering into the candle-lit interior of the house, past Yoroubi and his tails. It felt like she had her own tail, curling up against her back in a sympathetic response to just seeing someone walk about and wear clothes that fit it. Of course her tail was just a ghost at this point, and really how did one end up with a ghost tail?

Aside from being not fully human... Those in glass houses, stones, all of that. "Asides that...maybe I can help clean up come morning? I'm alright at cookin', cleaning and mending things."

Indeed, those scents still lingered like a film over every other scent coming from her. Sharp cold, resinous tree sap, sawdust and sourdough.

--------------------

PMEmail PosterAOL
^
Yoroubi
 Posted: Mar 15 2015, 06:27 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

He smiled again. "Well, let's see if one of my tricks works today," he said quietly, and flicked his hand toward the cart. There was a faint shimmer... and nothing happened. But he nodded, his ears flicking forward slightly as he studied her. "There. No prying eyes will see it there. And if anyone bumps into it, I'll know. Please, come in, and excuse the mess," he said, turning and leading the way back into the house.

He shuffled a pile of linens aside, and scooped up a broom that had toppled over, sweeping the corner out in a mild cloud of dust. "Gahh. Hasn't even been kept clean. Looks like the magic I wove wore off. Figured it would, with the blackout," he muttered. Shaking his head, he gestured. "It's not much. But once things are back up and running, you'll be welcome to a bed and all here.

"As for the offer of help, it would be appreciated. At the moment, I need to get this mess cleaned up. Some of it is repairable, a few of the cots and the bedding and such. And I would be more than happy to offer you a permanent place here in exchange for your cooking. Been a long time since I've had to do any real cooking, and I doubt anyone is going to enjoy my attempts to brush up on it at first," he said with a smile.

"Also, I didn't... catch your name, Miss...?"
PMMSN
^
Skeezix
 Posted: Mar 15 2015, 06:38 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

"Skeezix...at least that's my name for now." There was some pinking at her ears as internally she cided herself a bit for not properly introducing herself earlier. She had to pay attention and listen and...

Wait, did he just say Blackout?

Skeezix nimbly avoided tripping over her own feet and covered mouth and nose at the cloud of dust rising up. Guh. that... that explained so much, like the layer of dust and dirt all over the inside of here. She looked over the room itself.

Eeesh. "Well... unless you plan on eating out tonight... I can cook dinner, once I get the kitchen clean." Really, doing any sort of hard work was easier when you had a full belly to fuel it along.

Rolling up sleeves over muscular arms, she eyed the ceiling of the room as if it'd been challenging her. A bucket of hot soapy water would fix many troubles here.

--------------------

PMEmail PosterAOL
^
Yoroubi
 Posted: Mar 15 2015, 07:06 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

He nodded. "Skeezix. I'll ask later why you say for now, and instead settle for helping you get the kitchen sorted out. A good hot meal would do wonders for getting this place cleaned up, and having a straightened out kitchen will let us get some hot water to start scrubbing. Not to mention at least make this place somewhat respectable for the evening. You're not the only one I'm expecting to come out of the woodwork. Couple of old friends should be showing up once they hear I'm back."

Moving into the kitchen, he sighed in dismay. Everything was covered in a coat of dust. He hadn't made much headway cleaning up from the blackout when the NeverNever had called him, but things seemed to have just gone downhill since then. Shaking his head, he undid the sash, pulling his overcoat away, leaving him bare to the waist. Hanging it on a rickety coat rack, he righted the piece of furniture, and then brushed his hands together. "Standing around gabbing isn't going to get this place habitable again. Let's get busy, shall we?"

With that, he immediately began scooping up dishes and piling them in neat stacks to be washed once the kitchen itself was clean. Everything here had had its place once, and it would again soon enough.
PMMSN
^
Skeezix
 Posted: Mar 15 2015, 07:22 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

"Yeah!"

It wasn't so hard to follow Yoroubi into the house, once she'd grabbed the bundled meat, veggies and spices from the market.

The state of the kitchen? That made her pause and very gingerly set down what food she'd brought along to frown at the state of the sink and the dishes... He did say he'd been gone since the Blackout. that was at least two years gone..where ever it was he'd gone.

"..there's... at least two years of dust in here..." She offered out a little, wry helpless shrug. What had been expected, pristine porcelain and sterling silver? Ha. Skeezix ambled to the sink. Twisting the taps produced a sort of hissing glurk for a moment with no other results. Maybe the taps were dry and there was no water pressure in the house. Or the water had been shut off, but water was required for this sort of cleaning.

Skeezix got down on hand and knees to peer into the near-dark under the sink to check for any valves with a soft sort of grumble. It wasn't an angry noise, or even a.gressive.. just a grumble at water not working. There was no troubling looking around below the sink, boxes of cleaning supplies laying in rotting cardboard boxes were filling the view.

She looked up and over her shoulder towards the man with the tails.. no that was a kitsune or she'd eat her manga collection. Without the benefit of condiments.

Suddenly the hissing noise came from the taps before the gurgling source of the noise popped out to pour down the sinks. Rusty-dark fluid gushed out for a moment from both taps and Skeezix wrinkled her nose. "...mwuff."

--------------------

PMEmail PosterAOL
^
Yoroubi
 Posted: Mar 16 2015, 03:45 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Yoroubi turned at the noises, and grimaced. "Oh, now that won't do. The filters need cleaning. Let me see," he muttered, a flicker of lights dancing across his fingertips for a moment, before disappearing into the ground. "Hey, it actually worked! I'm in shock on that one, it doesn't usually work properly. Give it a moment, and the water should be running clean," he said, and went back to gathering and stacking dishes.

By the time the water was running clear, he had all the dishes in neat piles, ready and waiting to be washed. "Okay. Now then. First we need to get the cabinets, counters, and surfaces scrubbed clean." Flipping open one of the myriad pouches on his waist, he came up with a pair of sponges, handing one to Skeezix. "Here you go. Let's get to work," he said, pulling a bottle of a silver-green liquid. "Soap. Made Elfland style, so it'll work here."

He shook his head. "That spell I used will work for now, but I'm going to have to get SOMEONE in here to look at the pipes. So much to do to make this place livable again," he said with a sigh and a shake of his head.
PMMSN
^
Skeezix
 Posted: Mar 16 2015, 08:16 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Once she was handed soap and sponges, the first thing Skeezix did was leave one sponge clean, next to the dishes and damped the other one. A small bowl was tucked under the running water to fill as all the cupboards were opened. Everything in this kitchen was so utterly filthy.. it would take quite a while to get this area to a functional level of cleanliness. "Best if we go at it by cleaning from the top down...that way we're not repeat cleaning."

Being short, Skeezix climbed up to kneel on a counter top as she wiped, cleaning by being just barely able to peer over the lip of each shelf. Deft fingers pushed the damp sponge about in neat little grids. Once that first line cut through the years of dust, the rest of the surface area became almost mechanically cleaned. "If you can get Thorn-leaf-and-tree...he's real good at fixing stuff like that."

Tilting her head, she added, having finished one cupboard and knee-shuffled over to the next one. "And y'know... the other Diggers are gonna want ya up an running in a hurry."

--------------------

PMEmail PosterAOL
^
Yoroubi
 Posted: Apr 7 2015, 08:51 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Yoroubi sighed, and nodded, staring around the kitchen for a long moment. Shaking his head, he rummaged in a partially open cupboard. "Really!?" he barked, and emerged again. "They even took the stepladder? Come on, how desperate have things gotten around here?" He lapsed into an unfamiliar language for a moment, and then drew a deep breath.

Another sponge was pulled from the pouch, and he set to work at the other end of the kitchen, his face set in determination. "I'm aware they're not going to be happy if this takes too long. And I will definitely look up this... Thorn-leaf-and-tree, you said? Not a name I recognize, but that doesn't surprise me. What DOES surprise me is that I can't seem to put my finger on just what you are.

"It doesn't make a difference, but I'm curious. You're not human, but you're not Elf either, as far as smell goes." He paused here to move over and rinse off the sponge, before going back to the cabinets. "And if you don't want to talk about it, feel free to cuss me out about it!" he said with a lopsided grin.
PMMSN
^
Skeezix
 Posted: Apr 7 2015, 09:13 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

!!!! That... that was probably the first time anyone had ever asked Skeezix what she was. A flinch that went through the entire body like a startled cat's fur going on end was completely warranted. She didn't have a solid answer to that save... "...I d-d-don't fully know, exactly. I know at least one of my an-ss-s-cestors must've shagged something but... well, they weren't keen on passing on records."

She shrugged helplessly, because here was murky waters and dozens if not a hundred possibilities for what she could be a mix of humanity and whatever with. "All I know is what I have...and what I'm not, if that makes any sense to you."

--------------------

PMEmail PosterAOL
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

CWHP For Queen and Country Sanctuary The Jersey Devil WHAT A SHAME 1 on 1 RP
ETS Forsilvra: An Original Fantasy RPG
forum layout coded by revo. of (display:none) & rpg-directory.com
The Bordertown world was created by, and is copyrighted by, Terri Windling. The world, its landmarks and characters are used with her permission only. All rights to Borderland material are reserved by Ms. Windling and the authors of the Borderland books: Borderland, Bordertown, Life on the Border, Elsewhere, Nevernever, Finder, The Essential Bordertown and Welcome to Bordertown.
Have a question but everyone's asleep? Stop by our guest-friendly help desk.